Joshua Nelson, M.D.Orthopedic Surgeon
Orthopedic Sports Medicine and Surgery
23351 Prairie Star Parkway, A275
Lenexa, KS, 66227-7302
Sports Medicine Specialist
Knee, Shoulder, Elbow and Ankle
- Medical School: University of Nebraska School of Medicine
- Residency: University of Kansas Medical Center
University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Patellofemoral Instability including Trochleoplasty, Osteotomies and MPFL Reconstruction
- ACL Reconstruction and Multiligament Knee Reconstruction
- Meniscal Repairs, Complex Tear Patterns
- Rowland G, Mar D, McIff T, Nelson JD. Evaluation of meniscal extrusion with posterior root disruption and repair using ultrasound. The Knee. 2016 May; 23.
- Seagrave RA, Perez L, McQueeney S, Toby EB, Key V, Nelson JD. Preventive effects of eccentric training on acute hamstring muscle injury in professional baseball. Orthop J of Sports Med. 2014 June;2(6):2325967114535351.
- Nelson JD, Miller M. Distal femoral Physeal implications of an anatomic ACL reconstruction in a skeletally immature soccer player: A case report. J Bone Joint Surg. 2011 May 18;93-A(10):e53.
- Nelson JD, McIff TE, Moodie PG, Iverson JL, Horton GA. Biomechanical stability of intramedullary technique for fixation of joint depressed calcaneus fracture. Foot Ankle Int. 2010 Mar;31(3):229-35.
- Nelson JD. Commentary and perspective on “A Prospective Randomized Study of Minimally Invasive Total Knee Arthroplasty Compared with Conventional Surgery”. J. Bone Joint Surg.2010;92-A:e3(1).
- Nelson JD, Hogan MC, Miller MD. What’s new in sports medicine. J Bone Joint Surg. 2010; 92-A(1):250-63.
Current Society Memberships
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopedic Sports Medicine
Dr. Joshua Nelson, MD, PharmD, is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in orthopedic surgery and sports medicine. Dr. Nelson is a published author in multiple peer-reviewed journals. He has trained numerous residents and medical students throughout his academic career, and many of those physicians are now practicing orthopedic surgeons and sports specialists in the Kansas City metropolitan area. Dr. Nelson has many years of experience as an orthopedic surgeon for the NFL and MLB, retiring from contracted professional team responsibilities in 2016. His areas of surgical specialization include the knee, shoulder, elbow, and ankle. He and his wife of over 20 years live in the Shawnee area and have three children.